[sane-devel] Re: problem with ADF on HP 6300C scanner

Eugene Reimer ereimer at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 10 02:24:14 CET 2007

Eugene Reimer wrote, On 2007-02-09 01:56:

> I've just bought an HP 6300C scanner with ADF, and am trying to use
> scanimage to do multi-page scanning using the document-feeder.  It
> feeds and scans the pages successfully, but when it starts to feed the
> LAST page, everything stops, with the messages:
>    scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O
>    Scanned page 2. (scanner status = 9) ...

Solution: I have convinced myself that this problem goes away when one
specifies the correct page-height!  I had the problem when scanning
11-inch pages with the scanimage (hp) default page-height of 14-inches.
Incidentally, with the units employed by this software, there appear to
be 279.31mm in 11-inches (rather than the 279.4 one might expect).  This
is based on -y279.31 producing the correct number of pixels, at least up
to 1200dpi.

Due to slight misalignments within my scanner, I'm getting approximately
2mm cropped from the left edge of each page.  I was vaguely hopeful that
specifying -y-2.0 would prevent that cropping, but it does nothing -- I
should mention it is outside of the documented range of legal values.  I
notice that -t allows negative values, but the permitted range is so
restrictive that I find it very hard to imagine it ever being of any use
to anyone.

BTW, the --lamp-off option does nothing, at least it certainly doesn't
turn off the lamp on this scanner.  However the scanner eventually shuts
off the lamp on its own after some period of inactivity, which may be
something like 10 minutes although I have neither timed it nor have I
encountered any documentation mentioning this feature.