[sane-devel] Configuring Canon LiDE 60 Scanner

William H Lugg wlugg at prairienetworks.com
Tue Feb 13 03:24:16 CET 2007

I recently bought a Canon LiDE 60 scanner to connect to my machine and am
having a bit of trouble getting it to work.  Here's my configuration:

SuSE Linux 10.0 on an AMD x86_64 HP box.
At the outset sane was at 10.0.15.

When I started, I attempted to use YaST, SuSE's configuration tool, to
configure the scanner.  I got to the point of selecting a driver and found
that only the LiDE 25 and 30 were listed and they used the plustek driver.
The sane-project.org compatability page indicates that the genesys driver is
the one I want so I determined that I needed to search for the newer version
of the sane drivers.

So, I finally found a SuSE rpm for 10.0.18 for the x86_64 architecture on the
packman web site and installed it.  I then went back to YaST and tried again
to configure the scanner.  I was pleased to find my scanner listed, but when
I click Next, I get "Error, Failed to activate genesys."  So, here I sit dead
in the water.

As I see it I have two paths to follow.  One depends on someone in this group
that has had this same experience that can tell me how to proceed.  The other
is to fall back and follow the installation instructions that are on the
sane-project.org site from the start.  If I choose this path, I assume that I
should remove the version of sane and the associated frontends that are
installed through YaST?  Then can I reinstall them through YaST again after
I've gone through the sane installation process or am I going to get into
more trouble with this?  I'm thinking of apps like Kooka here.

Bill Lugg
   Milstar Software Support
   Peterson AFB, CO

No Micro$oft products were used in the creation of this email.