[sane-devel] Further progress on finding Scanjet HP3200C

Adrian Walker walkad at internode.on.net
Mon Feb 12 09:47:45 CET 2007

Stef

Many thanks for your detailed help.

I had problems running ppdiag in Puppy so I loaded Ubuntu 6.10.

Results of your suggestions:

>From dmesg:

        [17184854.120000] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

>From ppdiag:

        root at adrian-desktop:/home/adrian# bash ppdiag
        S01: parport built as module

        S02: parport0:
        S02:    modes:PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP
        S02:    ADDR :0x378
        S02:    IRQ  :7
        S02:    DMA  :no DMA used

        S03: no parport parameters

        S10: ppdev built as module

        S12: /dev/parport0 exists ...
        S12: /dev/parport0 is readable ...
        S12: /dev/parport0 is writable ...
        S12: do you want to allow any user to access ppdev ? (yes/no)
        yes
        S12: mode changed ...

        successfull end ....

        root at adrian-desktop:/home/adrian# modprobe ppdev

        root at adrian-desktop:/home/adrian# bash ppdiag
        S01: parport built as module

        S02: parport0:
        S02:    modes:PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP
        S02:    ADDR :0x378
        S02:    IRQ  :7
        S02:    DMA  :no DMA used

        S03: no parport parameters

        S10: ppdev built as module

        S12: /dev/parport0 exists ...
        S12: /dev/parport0 is readable ...
        S12: /dev/parport0 is writable ...

        successfull end ....

But I don't know how to pass  "options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
dma=none"  to the kernel module.  I tried your Troubleshooting guide at
Sourceforge and got the following:

         root at adrian-desktop:/# find / -type f -name modules.conf -print
        root at adrian-desktop:/#
        root at adrian-desktop:/# find / -type f -name modprobe.conf -print
        root at adrian-desktop:/#

However I did find in /lib/modules/. . . /modules.alias (using
"root at adrian-desktop:/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic# grep parport
modules.alias")

        alias pnp:dPNP0400* parport_pc
        alias pnp:dPNP0401* parport_pc

        alias char-major-99-* ppdev

but no sign of

        alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc (as expected in your guide)

In view of the above results, is it still necessary to force the issue
with the kernel?

Next obstacle is that Ubuntu can't find "scanimage" command:

        root at adrian-desktop:~# export SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_PP=255
        root at adrian-desktop:~# export SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_PP_LOW=255
        root at adrian-desktop:~# scanimage -L
        -bash: scanimage: command not found

        root at adrian-desktop:~# cd /usr/lib/sane
        root at adrian-desktop:/usr/lib/sane# export
        SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_PP_LOW=255
        root at adrian-desktop:/usr/lib/sane# export SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_PP=255
        root at adrian-desktop:/usr/lib/sane# scanimage -L
        -bash: scanimage: command not found

        root at adrian-desktop:/# find / -type f -name scanimage -print
        root at adrian-desktop:/#

(I suspect there is a very obvious answer to this part of the problem
but I can't see it.)

Also directory with ppdev is missing:

        root at adrian-desktop:/# cd /sys/module/ppdev
        -bash: cd: /sys/module/ppdev: No such file or directory
        root at adrian-desktop:/#

Which may be why ppdev does not show up in the list from lsmod.
The only references to parallel port are:

        parport_pc             37796  1
        parport                39496  2 lp,parport_pc

Does this mean that ppdev is now built into the kernel and not added
later as a module?
The why does ppdiag report that ppdev is built as module?
(My 65-year-old brain takes a while to figure these things out!!)

As for other tests, there are no apparent  conflicts:

        root at adrian-desktop:/#
        cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/devices/active
        none

Thanks again for your patience and for making your expertise so freely
available.
It is this aspect of the open source community that has fired my
interest in Linux.
I'm gradually interesting others of my generation (as well as our
grandchildren) in the rise of the penguin and the new paradigm of
co-operation rather than competition.

Regards

Adrian