[sane-devel] [patch] --quality scan option for coolscan2 backend

Major A andras.major at univie.ac.at
Sun Feb 25 11:13:40 CET 2007

> I finally started having a look at the coolscan2 backend. For my first
> patch I added a new option, --quality, that may be used to activate the
> "high quality scan" scanner option.

Thanks for taking over. I really don't have any time to spend on SANE
at the moment. But what, exactly, is the high-quality option? Do you
mean multisampling? For that to work, it's not sufficient to just set
the relevant bits before scanning, you also have to actively read out
the lines and sum them up yourself, the scanner doesn't do it for
you. Also, not that not all scanners support multisampling. Also, if
you mean multisampling, I'd call the option accordingly because
"high-quality" doesn't really mean a lot.

> My next work will be on activating a new option, --greyscale, in order
> to scan in greyscale instead of RGB.

Again, the scanner doesn't support that in hardware. And because it
doesn't, I think it's better to scan RGB and leave the conversion to
greyscale to the frontend or the user. (The scanner does have a
single-colour mode, but that isn't greyscale, you can select one of
the colour channels to be scanned exclusively, but I wouldn't call
that greyscale).

BTW, has anyone got the LS-50/5000 working in the end?

  Andras