[sane-devel] Flatbed scanner that can scan to the edge?

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Tue Feb 27 10:52:16 CET 2007

I'm looking for a simple flatbed with the following features:

* Supported by SANE (of course)

* Scan size: >= A4

* It can scan to the edge!

* Sufficient depth of field to be able to scan pages from a book once in
  a while.  Too my knowledge, this excludes scanners with only LED
  illumination.

I currently own an EPSON Perfection 3490 Photo, and it has all the
features that I want, except it cannot scan to the edge:

  +--------+
  | +----+ |
  | |scan| |
  | |area| |
  | |    | |
  | +----+ |
  glass plate

Thus one has to position pages in the middle of the glass plate which
1. is not very precise, and 2. is time consuming.  I'd like to know why
EPSON made such a stupid design decision.  It's very very inconvenient
when scanning documents.  If you don't believe me, then have a look at
the documentation from EPSON ("Placing Documents or Photos", section 3):

http://support.epson-europe.com/onlineguides/en/perf3490/html/set2_1.htm

--
Felix E. Klee