[sane-devel] Flatbed scanner that can scan to the edge?

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Wed Feb 28 13:35:17 CET 2007

Hi,

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 12:57:16 Felix E. Klee wrote:
> At Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:03:00 +0100,
> Rene Rebe wrote:
> > > You must've misunderstood me: I need a scanner that can scan right
> > > to the edge of the *glass plate*.  In fact, before getting the Epson
> > > 3490, I thought that every modern scanner can do this.
> > >
> > > I do not need a special book scanner.
> >
> > Avision bookedge A3 scanner.
>
> Thanks for the hint.  However, I've to repeat: I do *not* need a scanner
> especially targeted at scanning books.  What I need is a scanner that
> can scan to the edge of the *glass plate*.  Maybe that sounds too
> trivial and thus leads to misunderstandings on this list.

This Avision scanners are flatbad scanners with the zero edge "feauture"
specifically to scan book.

> As far as I know, there are scanners in the sub 100 EUR range, perhaps
> even in the sub 50 EUR range, that can do this.  I just don't know which
> ones.

Well, buying the most cheap "crap" does not necessarily mean supporting
the companies that support Linux and co -- just a thought.

> If I do not find such a scanner, I may have to build a stencil that I
> can put on my current scanner.  Actually, this should not be too hard.
> I'm annoyed however, that this step is necessary.  Why didn't Epson make
> the visible glass plate simply a bit smaller?

Maybe some company has a patent on "zero edge" scanners?

Yours,

  +49 (0)30 / 255 897 45