[sane-devel] scanner's buttons daemon+gui

Jean-Christophe 'Jice' Cardot sane at cardot.net
Mon Jan 1 22:10:05 CET 2007

Le lundi 1 janvier 2007 07:50, JKD a écrit :
> El Sat, 30 de Dec de 2006, a las 05:27:43PM +0100, Jean-Christophe 'Jice'
Cardot dijo:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've developped a GUI + daemon (based on code by Rene Rebe - avision
> > backend) for buttons support through SANE.
> > Web site: http://cardot.net/KScannerButtons
> > At the moment the daemon is a quick and dirty hack based on Rene's code,
> > but at least working. The GUI is built using Kommander from kde-webdev;
> > only the daemon is mandatory.
> >
> > It's using the SANE backend to talk to the scanner (and not adressing the
> > scanner directly through libusb as scanbuttond does - see
> > scanbuttond.sourceforge.net).
> >
> > I tested it only with the avision backend and a HP 5300 C scanner.
> >
> > I was wondering wether or not there is a convention for buttons among
> > backends: in the avision backend, the option name is equal to
> > "button-<button number>".
> >
> > Also, which backend support buttons?
> >
> > Could you please test my software with your scanner (if your backend
> > support buttons) to help me build a list of supported devices?
>
> I've added support for buttons in hp3900 scanner in the same way avision
> does (SVN server at sourceforge). So at least these scanners should work
> with KScannerButtons:
>
> - hp scanjet 3800 (3 buttons)
> - hp scanjet 3970 (4 buttons) [tested]
> - hp scanjet 4070 (4 buttons)
> - hp scanjet 4370 (4 buttons) [tested]
> - umax astra 4900 (4 buttons)
> - umax astra 4950 (4 buttons)
>
> Changes in hp3900 will be official in the next version. I included a
> module in scanbuttond project to manage these scanners too.

Hi Jonathan

This will be reflected on the web site soon.

I hope some more backend developpers will answer my email so that we can
expand that list.

> I've translated your frontend to spanish. If you want to add that
> language to your project you can download ".po" file at this location:

Thanks! Will be in next version :)

> http://jkdsoftware.dyndns.org/files/others/kscannerbuttons-es.tar.gz
>
> > PS: I was also wondering why the button support as found in scanbuttond
> > is not (or is it?) in the backends. For me SANE is the preferred way to
> > access scanners, and any button daemon should make use of SANE
> > backends...
>
> I agree with you. I suppose this stuff is going to be solved when SANE2
> arrives but I think that will take a long time. IMHO sanebuttonsd (and
> your frontend) is better solution than scanbuttond.

yep. But do you know if there is a specification on how should the SANE
backends handle the buttons?

> Jonathan Bravo Lopez

bye

--