[sane-devel] SANE2, time for a decision

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Sat Jan 6 16:19:42 CET 2007

 Hello sane developers,

  Some weeks ago I introduced (once again) the discussion
 about SANE future. Now is time to take action.

  The situation is that we have coders willing to implement
 the SANE2 standard (whatever this will be) for a bunch of backends
 but are missing the people required to revamp sanei, the build
 system and the frontends.

  The standard itself is not complete, but this is something
 that can be fixed.

  However, we already have lost too much time in this limbo.

 I would like to run a poll (suggestions for good poll web sites
 are accepted) asking user and devs what they think about the
 SANE future.

 The poll options will be:

 - Reopen development on SANE1
 - Fork SANE1
 - Wait SANE2 indefinitely

 I will gladly accept suggestions for other options
 as long as they are credible. i.e. "Develop SANE2"
 will not be accepted unless it includes a list of
 developers that are going to make it happen.

 I'm sorry for being a bit rough, but time is
 passing by and we need to go somewhere.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,