[sane-devel] SANE2, time for a decision

Oliver Rauch Oliver.Rauch at rauch-domain.de
Sat Jan 6 17:15:03 CET 2007

Am Samstag, 6. Januar 2007 16:19 schrieb Alessandro Zummo:

>  The poll options will be:
>
>  - Reopen development on SANE1
>  - Fork SANE1
>  - Wait SANE2 indefinitely

The SANE2 standard is not finished, so it does not make sens to start coding
SANE2. It would be a big mistake to start coding SANE2 at this point because
the standard is not finished and will change.

What should be done is:

- continue SANE1 development and finish the SANE2-standard soon.

I spent a lot of time in the SANE2 standard proposal. It took me a lot of
energie and time to work out this proposal, but the following infinite and
partly useless discussion about SANE2 (some years ago) made me stop my work
on it.

The standard is not ready for coding, but we can finish it shortly, the major
part is done. But it is only possible when we create a little group (3-5
backend and frontend programmers) that discuss and improve the standard
proposal NON PUBLIC - or we will get the infinite discussion again.

The non-public discussion should take some (4-8) weeks and then the group
should publish their improved SANE2-standard proposal.

After that we can make a little discussion (1-2 weeks) about the improved
proposal and give the group some time (1-2 weeks) to improve the proposal
again based on the comments and suggestion.

This way we could have finished the standard in about 8-12 weeks.

After that we could start coding SANE2. And when this standard is worth to
support it then there will be coders for sanei-code and for frontends.

Best regards
Oliver