[sane-devel] Medion MD90090 Scanner

Maximilian Fabricius mfabricius at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 11:28:19 CET 2007

Hi,

I also just started trying to write a backend (GL842).
I never did that before and havn't been too successful so far. Let me
also point out that
http://www.sane-project.org/contrib.html wasn't very helpful in my
mind. On the other hand, I guess it is difficult to give a general
description of the process.
What did help was to take a screwdriver and open the scanner. Look at
all chips write down or photograph the chip's names and look for data
sheets. If you can't find them with google, looking at a place like
www.newark.com might help.
Second, do write to the company.
I really expected nothing when I wrote to their support address. But
they actually offered support (which hasn't happened yet though). If
you write to the support address you might want to add the sentence:
"Please forward this mail to your engineering department!" Or
something like that.
Definitely the most useful thing so far was to look at a similar
backend. And for that, I think you need to know the chipset. So try to
google for it, otherwise take the screwdriver and be careful not to
damage it.

Finally: I totally agree with: Do it!

Good Luck,

Max