[sane-devel] options for epson perfection V100 PHOTO?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Jan 12 00:38:13 CET 2007

Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> writes:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:03:45 -0800
> David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sad to say, I've made the mistake of purchasing an epson perfection V100
>> photo scanner, and am now wondering what I can do with this thing.  I see
>> now that it's not supported, although there's a proprietary iscan thing
>> that works with it, but it doesn't seem to be available for x86-64.
>
>  Hello David,
>
>   we should first understand if this scanner uses the
>  EPSON ESC/I protocol. You might want to enable debugging
>  (man sane-epson) and report the results of scanimage -L .

It does not.

FYI, *all* scanners supported by the _epkowa_ backend that say they
require a DFSG non-free iscan-plugin-* mean it.  If you don't have
said plugin installed, even the epkowa backend will not support the
scanner.  The epson backend does not support those scanners at all.

Unfortunately, those non-free plugins are only available for i386
compatible architectures.

The plugin translates the ESC/I protocol to the scanner's native
protocol and back.  The scanner itself doesn't speak ESC/I.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/