[sane-devel] Setting up a dedicated machine to run scanner

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Fri Jan 19 22:48:02 CET 2007

Hi,

I want to set up a dedicated machine in a semi-public location
(departmental printer room in my university) which will do the following
things:

1. allow people to use it freely to run the attached scanner and to do
something with the output

2. output can be sent to the printer (which requires network access),  or

2a. sent by scp to another machine on which the scanner user has an
account (obviously also needs network access), or

2b. copied to the user's USB flash drive which the user can be plugged
into the back of the machine (obviously requires automatic mounting and
umounting of said flash drive)

So, there is an obvious conflict between usability and security. I would
say that it is not the right kind of environment to go making people to
get an account on the machine; they should be able just to come and run
the scanner. I would say that it should not be permissible to run any
shell (by, for example, launching an xterm with a command prompt) and also
it would be good to set up xsane so that it automatically clobbers the
previous output file when a new scan is done, and the user who walks up to
the machine cannot change that. Also, the save-the-file dialog should only
allow the file to be saved in the scanner account's directory, or on the
flash drive (which would require a hookup of the save-file dialog to mount
the flash drive automatically and invisibly, but with a warning in case it
has been attached, and to unmount it when the file has been copied, along
with another warning if said flash drive is removed prematurely).
Furthermore, the save-file dialog should only allow inspection of the
scanner home directory and of the flash drive, not other directories.

Has anyone already done something like this? To what extent is it possible
to configure xsane by means of an .rc file, which the user cannot alter?
Also, how difficult would it be to get the "Help" key to give some help
which is specific to the situation, telling the user what can and cannot
be done, and how to do what can be done?

I have figured out how to do things like set up an account which will
start X straightaway and will then do nothing but to run xsane, or perhaps
a TCL menu box which will do nothing but offer certain options. But how
much of what I want could be done inside of xsane, with custom
configurations, without a major overhaul of source code?

Theodore Kilgore