[sane-devel] Well known option consensus

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Mon Jan 22 17:27:00 CET 2007

m. allan noah wrote:

>> All this does not mean that the frontend cannot let the user select
>> a smaller scan window within the page area -- but the clipping of
>> the image must be done by the frontend.
>>

> i agree completely other than the last sentence. it should be possible
> for the backend
> to let the user select overscan mode, and then adjust the scan
> area/papersize as needed
> to set tl-x/y 0,0 to the black area 16mm outside of the paper. i dont
> think this violates the
> spirit of the standard proposal, and it keeps overscan mode as similar
> to the other modes
> as possible. in fact, i think this is the right thing to do in sane1,
> given recent user complaints on this mailing list.

OK, misunderstanding cleared ;)

Perhaps we're beginning to discuss a far too special feature -- but
I would maintain nevertheless that it makes sense for a backend to
simply disable tl-x, br-x, tl-y, br-y in overscan mode, and that to
set the scan area automatically to a value that is somewhat larger
than the page size. After all, this would allow the backend to fix
the weird behaviour of the fi4210/5120 that the parameter page width
must be set to a "wrong" value: real page width + 32mm in overscan
mode, if one wants the dark background on the left side of the scan
area.

Abel