[sane-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Native Wine32 SANE available for testing

Ilia Sotnikov hostcc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 06:16:53 UTC 2007

On 7/4/07, Jeff Kowalczyk <jtk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you have any way to provide snapshot builds from time to time, these
> will probably have many more testers providing feedback.
>
> I don't have any Win32 machines on hand myself, but thanks very much for
> working on this.
>
> Out of curiosity, how are USB devices named on Win32 (from SANE's point of
> view), and do they use the SANE backends for device communication?
>
> If there is a way to deploy a certain model of scanner on a Win32 machine,
> have its device name reliably known ahead of time, and if scans can be
> initiated from scanimage, scanadf, python-sane, etc., that's *big* news,
> and you'll probably see a stampede of Win32 users who need those tools.

The whole picture isn't so bright - as for now, this native Win32
version is limited only to dll, net backends and scanimage binary.
During porting I've also tried libusb-win32 (this way device names
would be similar, I think), but it looks little, hmmm, fragile. The
reliable way is to implement SANE's own USB layer on Win32
(sanei/sanei_usb.{c,h}), the same is true for SCSI layer. Due to
differences in OS semantics, some other internal functionality should
be also implemented as portable (eg. missing fork() under Win32 API).

--
 Ilia Sotnikov