[sane-devel] Canon CanoScan LiDE 70 chips?

Endolith endolith+sane at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 00:33:12 UTC 2007

I just bought a Canon CanoScan LiDE 70 and I see that it doesn't work in
Linux.

I uh.... "accidentally" disassembled it... and uh... if desired, I could
desolder and lift the metal cover and look at the chips.  But if I do that,
it's going to be a lot more obvious that I took it apart.  At this point in
time, I could reassemble it cleanly and get a refund (I have 14 days to
decide).  If this scanner isn't going to be usable in Linux any time in the
near future, I'd rather just get a refund and buy something else.  If
there's a good chance it *will* be usable in Linux in the near future, I'd
be willing to desolder things, since I'm the only one who will have to deal
with it.  So:

1. Would it be helpful to know the chips this thing uses, or do you already
know?
2. Is there a chance this scanner will work under Linux in the near future?

If the answer to number 2 depends on the answer to number 1, I guess we have
a chicken-and-egg problem.  :-)