[sane-devel] ScanImage works, but no other program does

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 09:12:01 UTC 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> On Montag, 16. Juli 2007, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I am a new sane user (Debian sid, Plustek chip Cannon LiED25 scanner).
> >
> > After installing sane, scanimage works a treat.  I can specify the
> > size and resolution, and the colour depth etc, and it works.
> >
> > BUT, any of the other programs I try, xsaneimage, xsane, Kooka,
> > OpenOffice.org, it does not complain, but all I get is a black block.
> >
> > All the programs recognise the scanner, but the motor never starts either
> > for preview or the full scan.
> >
> > Obviously I have done something silly, anyone got any ideas where to
> > start looking.
> >
> > David
>
> Hi,
>
> known issue, no fix yet - sorry. Try recompile your kernel, disabling
> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND...
>
> I could not reporduce it currently here (guess my kernel is too old)
>
> Gerhard

I am using 2.6.21, and unfortunately the stock kernel from Debian
has CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND turned on.  But I never use hibernate or the like
on this machine.

Are there any details of the problem?  Also why are the mechanisms used
by scanimage so different to those used by all the other programs?

David