[sane-devel] Scanner with multiple usb bulk endpoints

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:37:49 UTC 2007

On 7/16/07, Miguel <miguelrvs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Currently I'm trying to modify the avision backend to support the
> kodak i1320 (duplex) using the sane-backends 1.0.18
> but I have a problem, the i1320 uses 2 usb bulk-in endpoints. I´ve
> modified sanei_usb.c to include an endpoint array (both in and out),
> but i don´t know if it´s correct place to do that.
> It appears that one endpoint outputs the front scanning unit, and the
> other outputs the backone.
> I've already made the scanner output an scanned sheet using the log
> from usbsnoop from a windows machine, and have identified  and
> isolated the transactions that cold and hot inicialize the scanner,
> and the section that makes it to scan.
> Also I would apreciate some help from anyone who knows about the image
> format this scanner outputs, it seems a raw image, and how to convert
> it to a usable format (desirably tiff). It outputs the same 20MB of
> data (each side), regardless of the control panel settings (group 4 vs
> raw).

i had an i1220 at the office for a demo and noticed the dual read
endpoints as well IIRC.

in the case of the front-end buttons, i would not be surprised to find
that they do not change the scanner settings at all, but rather, the
driver polls the setting of the buttons, and then changes the scan
parameters sent back to the scanner.

for the data, it probably is raw, but sane frontends can turn that
into a tiff or pnm (and maybe more) for you. all you have to do is
follow the sane spec for providing the data to the frontend.

allan