[sane-devel] Scanner with multiple usb bulk endpoints

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Thu Jul 19 13:06:13 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 13:37:49 m. allan noah wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Miguel <miguelrvs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Currently I'm trying to modify the avision backend to support the
> > kodak i1320 (duplex) using the sane-backends 1.0.18
> > but I have a problem, the i1320 uses 2 usb bulk-in endpoints. I´ve
> > modified sanei_usb.c to include an endpoint array (both in and out),
> > but i don´t know if it´s correct place to do that.
> > It appears that one endpoint outputs the front scanning unit, and the
> > other outputs the backone.
> > I've already made the scanner output an scanned sheet using the log
> > from usbsnoop from a windows machine, and have identified  and
> > isolated the transactions that cold and hot inicialize the scanner,
> > and the section that makes it to scan.
> > Also I would apreciate some help from anyone who knows about the image
> > format this scanner outputs, it seems a raw image, and how to convert
> > it to a usable format (desirably tiff). It outputs the same 20MB of
> > data (each side), regardless of the control panel settings (group 4 vs
> > raw).
> >

> i had an i1220 at the office for a demo and noticed the dual read
> endpoints as well IIRC.
>
> in the case of the front-end buttons, i would not be surprised to find
> that they do not change the scanner settings at all, but rather, the
> driver polls the setting of the buttons, and then changes the scan
> parameters sent back to the scanner.
>
> for the data, it probably is raw, but sane frontends can turn that
> into a tiff or pnm (and maybe more) for you. all you have to do is
> follow the sane spec for providing the data to the frontend.

Is this scanner in any means simillar to the protocol used in Avision
scanners?

I guess the scanner always delivers the whole width until paper out
and needs autocrop and de-skew to be useful?

Patchs to the avision.* files welcome.

Yours,

  Geschäftsführer: Susanne Klaus, René Rebe
  Sitz: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 105 123 B
  USt-IdNr.: DE251602478