[sane-devel] Intend to write driver(s)

Dr. Fiemost drfiemost at email.it
Sat Jul 21 16:18:43 UTC 2007

In data Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:13:58 +0200, Robert Brijder
<rbrijder at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> 2007/6/18, drfiemost at email.it <drfiemost at email.it>:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have the following two scanners.
>> >
>> > * Compeye Simplex 1236C,
>> >   Interface: Parport USB.
>> >   USB id: 0x05cb/0x1483
>> > * Primax Colorado USB 19200,
>> >   Interface: USB,
>> >   USB id: 0x0461/0x0360
>> >
>> > The first one is mentioned on the sane website as unsupported, the
>> > second one is not mentioned at all. The output of sane-find-scanner -v
>> > -v with the second scanner connected is show below. My question is,
>> > which scanner would be most easy to write a driver for (I would guess
>> > the first one)? I would then try to write a driver for that one first.
>> >
>> > BTW: I have never before written a driver, however I can write in C
>> > and I have read the SANE standard.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Robert
>>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> I have an LG Electronics Scanworks 600U which is based on the same
>> chipset
>> of your Primax Colorado USB 19200 (as reported at
>> http://viceo.orcon.net.nz/), so if you intend to develop a driver for
>> that
>
> Yes, I noticed that site too, and looked at the source code. It is
> based on the windows source code. It is probably best to first
> consider the E3 Driver patch Release 0.1 (which is most close to
> windows source) instead of the latest 0.6. Version 0.1 is small and
> easy to read while the versions after 0.1 seems to contains much
> copy-paste's from other sources. The E3 chip seems to have quite an
> easy interface, 32 8-bit registers with proper documentation of the
> bits.
>
> I do not have that much spare time, but I'll probably work on it on
> some weekends. Of course, every help is very good. I think it is best
> to indeed read first the sane standard, then probably read some
> (relatively easy) sane-backend for usb-scanners and then read release
> 0.1 of the E3 driver.
>
> All the best,
> Robert
>

>> scanner I'd like to help.
>> I have some knowledge of C/C++ but no experience with SANE developing.
>> If you're interested I'll start reading SANE documentation :)
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Leandro
>>  --
>>  Email.it, the professional e-mail, gratis per te: http://www.email.it/f

Hi Robert,

do you have any news?
I've read the documents and the source code, so I'd like to start
experimenting, but I have some questions:
- is there a backend which could be used as starting point or it is better
to start from scratch?
- would it be possible to damage the scanner by sending some wrong
commands?
- are there licensing issues in using info desumed from the E3 Driver?

Thank you,
Leandro

 Sponsor:
 In REGALO un GIOCO! Scegli GPBikes 3D,Bubble Boom, Rock City Empire
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=6732&d=21-7