[sane-devel] network attached hp officejet 7310

Allan Gottlieb gottlieb at nyu.edu
Tue Jun 5 15:05:12 UTC 2007

At Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:21:00 +0200 (CEST) Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

> On Jun 4 12:05 Allan Gottlieb wrote (shortened):
>> I have an officejet 7310 on our lan at address 192.168.1.50.
>
> The hpaio driver is not part of the SANE software but a so called
> "external backend", which comes directly from HP, see
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/

Right.  I have that driver.  When installed (under gentoo) the line
    hpaio
is appended to /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

> For example see
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/troubleshooting/network.html

This talks about general connectivity and printing.  I can print fine
to the officejet using HPLIP.

> By the way:
> The "net" backend is only to be used in conjunction with "saned",
> e.g. see "man saned" and "man sane-net" or have a look at
> http://www.sane-project.org/docs.html

This may be the trouble.  You are certainly correct that I am likely
in error messing with net since that is for a server.

I just read a few more docs (thanks for the reference) and they all
refer to a scanner that is attached (often via usb) to a host.
However, in my case the scanner *is* the host.  That is, the hp7310 is
a network device.  The hp7130 has a url on our lan (namely
192.168.1.50).  I can ping that url, I can print to it (via cups), but
I guess my question is

"How do I tell the scan client that the scanner is a network device
with address 192.168.1.50?"

Thanks,
allan