[sane-devel] Visioneer Problems

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 23:29:22 UTC 2007

> >> 1. downloading and extracting the sane source code
> >> 2. downloading and possibly extracting rene's updated files
> >> 3. replacing some files in the sane tarball with those from rene
> >> 4. configure sane with the proper arguments to overwrite that provided
> >> by your os
> >> 5. make && make install

> Rene had written to me saying:
> > Can you copy the files from:
> >
> >   http://svn.exactcode.de/sane-avision/trunk/backend/
> >
> > Into your local SANE source and recompile sane-backends?

> I had a look at the trunk/backend location and there are 3
> subdirectories there:
>
> Avision. c
>            .conf
>            .h

those are files, not subdirs, but yes, that is what we are after.

> Referring to te extracted files from 1.0.18 in the temporary Backend
> Folder there are the same named files but avision.conf is in the
> extracted files as avision.conf.in
>
> I assume I copy the trunk/backend files into the Backend folder of the
> temp directory, but what about the avision.conf.in?

yes, overwrite the files in 'backend', but rename rene's avision.conf
to avision.conf.in first. that is a more recent change that rene
perhaps did not make to his private copy.

then you are off to step 4. you will want to make sure you have
/usr/include/usb.h first. if not, install the libusb-dev or
libusb-devel package that came with your os.

you need to determine where your existing compilation of sane has
installed its files, and pass the correct arguments to ./configure to
use the same locations. this will overwrite the originals instead of
installing a second copy (which causes issues generally). run
configure with the --help option for more info.

basically, we want to overwrite the scanimage and sane-find-scanner
programs, (probably in /usr/bin), the saned daemon program (probably
in /usr/sbin) as well as libsane.so.* and the sane/libsane-* libraries
(probably in /usr/lib). we also want to overwrite /etc/sane.d

probably something like:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

though if you are on a 64 bit linux system you might have to add
--libdir=/usr/lib64

allan