[sane-devel] Scanner 'reset scan head' utilities (plustek, Canon Lide20)

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 18:43:40 UTC 2007

I'm starting to look more closely at scanner troubleshooting issues for
deployment. Is there a utility or command parameter that will instruct a
scanner to park the head back in the home position and generally reset
itself to a safe/ready state?

My everyday flatbed scanner ((vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220d
[CanoScan], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:002:002) got out of sorts today. The
scan head wasn't returned to the home position (it is now), but XSane
scans now just return solid black data.

The Lide20 has been pretty reliable. The only thing out of the ordinary
today was that I ran the scanimage program for scanner information. I
usually use xsane with gimp, and unplug the scanner shortly thereafter.

Is this a hardware state problem, or a crashed kernel module that must be
purged (and how to do so?) Nothing sane-related shows up with lsmod.

Thanks.