[sane-devel] parallel make fix causes problems- was: CVS snapshots | md5_buffer undefined errors in auth_callback function

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Jun 28 03:38:48 UTC 2007

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/27/07, patrick blanchard <dspcypher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know this has been a problem w/ the CVS. let me know what I can do to
>> help...
>>

> i have traced this down to a change by isotnikov-guest (cc'd) on jun
> 12 to use libtool instead of ar and ranlib in lib/ and sanei/. it
> seems that our included version of libtool does not work properly in
> link mode, and fails to pass the object names to ar. this wont bite
> you if you are working in an old checkout, but after a make clean, or
> with a new checkout, you'll have problems.
>
> i am not a libtool expert, but i did try using my system copy (1.5.16)
> and it worked fine with the same command line.
>
> ideas?

I use the following approach with iscan:

  put SANE customisations to ltmain.sh in a diff (ltmain.sh.diff)
  remove ltmain.sh (and libtool) from CVS (if they are in CVS)
  use a script to "bootstrap" a clean checkout
  apply the patch as part of the bootstrap

This works fine for iscan on a variety of Linux distributions and
versions.  The worst I've seen is a little "complaint" from patch
that the diff applied with a non-zero fuzz factor.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen             FLOSS Engineer -- EPSON AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/