[sane-devel] Flatbed scanner that can scan to the edge?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Mar 2 00:39:55 CET 2007

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee at inka.de> writes:

> At Thu, 01 Mar 2007 08:34:56 +0900,
> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>
> That's the idea.  But unfortunately, it doesn't work - the document gets
> cropped.
>
>> To the best of my knowledge, all EPSON scanners supported by the epson
>> backend scan from the edge of the glass plate.

You conveniently snipped this:

 |  Same for the epkowa backend provided the scanner does NOT require
 |  a plug-in.

> Really? Then that would be an improvement as compared to the Windows
> driver.  My scanner is well supported by the Epson backend.  In fact
> that was the reason for me to buy it.

The Perfection 3490 is supported by the snapscan backend.  The epkowa
backend supports it if, and only if, you install a plug-in.

> Perhaps you have access to an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo or a scanner
> from the same series (it's the series that just went out of production)?
> It would be great if you could try scanning to the edge and let us know
> your experiences.  I doubt that it works.

I had access to such a scanner when adding support for it to the
epkowa backend.  And IIRC the 3490 needs to have the document centered
horizontally.  I don't remember if it also needs to be centered
vertically, but I doubt it.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/