[sane-devel] More comments on coolscan2 and LS-50 ED

Giuseppe Sacco giuseppe at eppesuigoccas.homedns.org
Sun Mar 4 02:39:11 CET 2007

Hi,
I made a few more tests and I read the coolscan2 source code. I used
scanimage, xsane and gimp/xscanimage as frontends.

I think that the --negative option already included, but disabled,
somewhat works. It is not perfect since preview (in xscanimage) seems to
be unaffected by this option, so images appear in reversed colours.
Currently this option is enabled only if you compile with
-DCS2_BLEEDING_EDGE. I would enabled it by default.
I wrote "somewhat" since this option seems to disappear after any scan,
so I have to depress it every time before scanning or previewing. (in
both xsane and xscanimage.)

The top-x/y width/height options do not work at all. The code for the
cs2_boundary does something completely different from what described in
the Nikon specification. Does this code works on other scanners? I could
provide a function for setting boundary with this scanner.

In the source code of the SET WINDOW command the averaging is disabled
for LS-50 and LS-5000. I tried enabling it, as allowed by the scanner
specification, and it seems to be working. So I would not write a
special case for these scanners.

Bye,
Giuseppe