[sane-devel] 3 mins delay at xscanimage startup due to querying hpiod

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 6 11:33:07 CET 2007

Hello,

On Mar 6 11:22 Volker Barth wrote (shortened):
> I recently bought my first scanner (Canon Lide 25), which is reported
> to work with the plustek backend. I'm running Kubuntu Dapper ...
> My problem is that when I start xscanimage it takes 3:10 minutes until
> the GUI shows up
> scanimage: unable to open /var/run/hplip/hpiod.port: ...

If you don't have a scanner in a HP all-in-one device
which needs the hpoj or hpaio backend, disable them in
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf

In generral it is a good idea to have only those backends
enabled in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf which you actually need
because otherwise all other backends would be also started
to let them probe for their scanners which only wastes
resources and sometimes even causes problems (like yours).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex