[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1660 - Out of memory error

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Mar 14 00:28:24 CET 2007

Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure at free.fr> writes:

> Fixed, I installed iscan 2.5 and it worked.
>
> Strange ... I thouht iscan was part of sane (as it is GLP),
> last code being copied in sane.

For the record, iscan is not GPL.  It is GPL with an exception that
allows linking with the libesmod module.  This module is under a
license that is NOT free.  Furthermore, the epkowa backend that is
included with iscan is licensed under the same conditions as the SANE
backends.

Also for the record, for most intents and purposes the epson and
epkowa backend should be considered seperate.  There is very little
flowing back to the epson backend :-( and there have been a few
changes to the epson backend that I personally wouldn't have made.
Hence, those are not in the epkowa backend.

> Now scanning works at all resolutions, which is fine.
>
> Best regards,
> Jean-Michel
>
> Le mardi 13 mars 2007 à 13:59 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré a écrit :
>> Dear all,
>>
>> First of all, thank you for working on sane.
>> I have been using an Agfa Snapscan 600 for years, without problems.
>>
>> Now, I would like to use an Epson Perfection 1660, high-speed usb
>> scanner. My distro is a Debian AMD64 SID / computer AMD64x2, 2Gb RAM.
>> All software is updated to last Debian SID versions. Scanner is
>> connected to a high-speed 2.0 usb port.

Seeing that you are on amd64, did you install the iscan binaries (via
`alien --install --scripts`) or did you compile from source?  You will
only get 64bit support if you compile from source.  Note however, that
in that case the iscan frontend is not built because it requires an
ix86 binary-only library.  The resulting epkowa backend should work
fine with XSane, though.

>> Everything works fine in low resolutions (<= 1200 dpi).
>> When choosing color/1600 dpi or more, xsane prints the following
>> error:
>> Out of memory. Any idea?

Not without more information.  Try

  SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=20 xsane 2> xsane-perfection-1660.log

and show me the log file.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/