[sane-devel] Lost support for my Canoscan N1220U

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Fri Mar 16 00:52:12 CET 2007

Sane Developers,

For a long while, Xsane had simply worked automagically with my Canon
N1220U scanner.

Then, recently, I had a problem with my installed packages. Synaptic
reported some "broken packages", and in order to fix dependency
problems, it un-installed and re-installed a majority of the
applications I use. At the same time, it upgraded my kernel from 2.6.17
to 2.6.20.

After that point, Xsane no longer detected my scanner. When I opened
Sane, it used to show me a choice between my Canon scanner and my
Hauppauge TV input card. After the problems I had with Synaptic, Xsane
skipped the selection screen and opened up with just the Hauppauge video
card selected.

I figured I must have accidentally removed some necessary package, but
after scouring the repositories for anything Sane related and installing
them, my situation didn't improve.

So then I figured I lost some settings. I searched the Sane
documentation, and from this web page:
http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux
... I learned of a file called /etc/ld.so.conf. After a little
experimentation, I discovered that having the following settings in that
file has improved the situation:

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/local/lib

Now, when I open Xsane, it gives me the choice between my Canon scanner
and my Hauppauge video card.

This is better, but unfortunately, when I try to preview or acquire a
scan, Xsane freezes and eventually just dies.

At this point I have run out ideas of  my own for how to diagnose and
solve this problem, so I am turning here for help.

Can anyone help me identify why Xsane is no longer working as smoothly
as it was before, and, more importantly, help me get it back to that status?

Thank you for any help or advice.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft