[sane-devel] UMAX stopped working

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 16:33:30 CET 2007

Hi

I've tried the FAQ and all the Sane instructions I can find and can't
fix this, I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clue.

I've a UMAX Astra 2200 usb scanner on Fedora 6. It was working, now
when I use xsane (0.991) I get the interface, and when I click scan I
get "Failed to start scanner: error during device I/O". My favourite
bets are:

1) I hit a button in the xsane interface that changed something I
don't know about.
2) Something's been updated by the auto update process and messed
things up
3) My scanner is broken and I need a new one.

I don't think it's permissions, I get roughly the same stuff in root.
It's dodgy, though. I can sometimes get it to scan a little but I only
get the first, say, inch of the image.

I suppose it could be the cable.

Scanimage -L gives me:
device `umax:libusb:002:019' is a UMAX     Astra 2200       flatbed
scanner

but when I look in, I can't remember now, but would that imply there's
a /proc/something/002/019 file I need to set permissions on? Well
there isn't a file.

Is it time to buy a new scanner or is there something I need to check
first?

Cheers