[sane-devel] Recommendations for reliable ADF sheetfed (Fujitsu, Avision, others?)

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 21:35:39 CET 2007

I'm looking for current recommendations for a fast ADF scanner with
reliable paper handling and stable SANE driver support for the desired
modes accessed via python PIL/Sane, scanadf, scanner access across
network, etc.

In the past (I ask every year or so, haven't bought yet) m. allan noah and
others have discussed their experiences and driver work with the Fujitsu
FI-5xxxC(x) series.

Good representations were also made about the Avision AV220C2 series,
primarily on the strength of the avision driver support. I was able to
find a source to import units from outside the US, but I have concerns
about ongoing US availability.

Since time has gone by and new models may be out, has anyone got
recommendations for models that meet most of the following criteria in the
USD $1,000 or under price range?

 - 1-bit and greyscale modes are the only ones that matter here

 - 300 dpi, and able to do 300dpi at high speed

 - ADF with at least 50 sheet capacity, good paper-feed reliability

 - USB 2.0 interface (or ethernet interface)

 - Priority is on Linux SANE compatibility, python PIL/Sane usage, scanadf
 over network.

 - Limited feature/modes support OK, only need the 300dpi bw,greyscale
 modes to be reliable and fast.

Thanks for the annual repeat of the question, and thanks if anyone has any
recommendations of new models, or comments on their ongoing experience
with the AV220C2, FI-5120C or updated units.