[sane-devel] Problems with HP Deskjet f4140 scanner

Qchan ultraedge at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:56:33 UTC 2007

I don't know how many out there can help me, but I'm at a loss here.

I first had a Lexmark All in One which was utter garbage. After getting
it installed, it did what it was supposed to. The scanner even worked.
Now, the scanner on the Lexmark appeared to have been dying on me, so I
went out and got an HP All in One. I've been hearing how HPs work
fantatically on Linux. Heck, I even installed and HP on my mother's PC
running Ubuntu. Works flawlessly!

Anyway, I get the HP Deskjet f4140 All in One home. Linux detects the
printer almost instantly. I was able to get the printer working and
networked with my home lan almost painlessly. The next thing I needed to
do was scan. I opened Xsane and it told me it couldn't detect it. I
thought that was pretty weird. I scrambled to find out why Xsane
couldn't detect it. I went all over the Internet searching for answers.
I typed lsusb and of course the all in one is seen. I typed in
'sane-find-scanner' and it sees the scanner.

~$ sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x7e04 [Deskjet F4100
series]) at libusb:002:004
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.
Yet I can't get Xsane (or Sane for that matter) to find it. I first
thought that maybe it wasn't supported, but being that this is an HP, I
knew there had to have been a backend that would work with it. As long
as its detected, I should be able to use the hp.conf backend. I edited
the file and even added the usb <enter hex numbers here> and restarted
sane. Heck, I even restarted the PC. Nothing.

Can anyone help me out? I'm fresh out of ideas and there is literately
NO Linux information about this All in One on the net AT ALL. NONE! Go
ahead and go to Google and type "Linux HP Deskjet f4140" you will find 4
search queries and that is it. The queries don't even talk about HP and
Linux in the same sentence.