[sane-devel] Problem with alioth, additional problem with Lexmark X1170

Stefan Göttsche Goettschwan at gmx.de
Sat May 5 12:34:35 UTC 2007

Hi, I'm unsure if I am correct in posting this here.
To introduce myself shortly, I am a german living in France,
and I run openSUSE Linux 10.2, KDE 3.5.6.

First of all, I've got a problem with the sane-project website, or more
precisely alioth.  I wanted to report a bug, but a button to report bugs was
nowhere to be seen. I figured that I have to create an account for just this
one bug, and proceeded to registration. After quite a bit of information
about me I finally got the email, clicked, and got the error message :
"Alioth cannot connect to database" on an otherwise blank page.
Now, I should register that as a website bug, but since I need to log in for
the bugtracker I simply can't. I don't know if the server is down for
maintenance, or something else along that line, I'll try again later.

Second, the reason for my bug report :
I own a Lexmark X1170 printer/scanner, and the printer works just fine.
I used SANE to install the scanner, and upon testing, something goes
majorly wrong :
Instead of moving the scanning unit towards the glass window it starts moving
the unit -in the other direction- ! Since there is a point the mechanic
inside can't overcome, the motor starts to whine under torture, and after two
or three seconds the scanner just stops.
The scanner is correctly detected by sane using scanimage to list the
scanners.
I have tried and experienced this problem with Xsane, scanimage and Kooka,
which exhausts all the frontends I have. I conclude that this must be a
problem inside Sane or with my hardware, although the last time I scanned
under Windows it functioned normally. I will check that out though as soon as
I have some time to boot up windows XP.
I have not tried to further deepen the diagnostic, as the scanner does this at
every attempt to scan or preview, and the unit starts smelling a bit of
overheated electronics when trying. I don't want to destroy the scanner
motor.

Any advice on this would be very appreciated, as it is the only (rare) task on
the computer left for which I have to boot Win XP now. I don't like to boot
it anymore, and until now I am very happy with OpenSuse :)

Thanks
Stefan