[sane-devel] Avision Backend

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:55:54 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, Robin Stewart <s48264 at bluebottle.com> wrote:
> I appreciate you support and I am trying to follow your instructions but
> at the time I could not do so because I did not know how to access the
> root with the passwords that I remembered.

if you intend to admin a unix or unix-like machine of any type, you MUST know
and remember the root password.

> Here are the results.
[snip]
> > [avision] sane_init: parsing config line "usb 0x04a7 0x0424"
> > [avision] sane_init: config file line 26: trying to attach USB:`usb
> > 0x04a7 0x0424'
> > [avision] attach:
> > [avision] attach: opening libusb:002:003
> > [avision] inquiry: 96
> > [avision] attach: sending INQUIRY
> > [avision] filling command to have a length of 10, was: 6
> > [avision] Timeouts: write: 30000, read: 1500, status: 1500
> > [avision] avision_usb_status: timeout 1500, 1 retries
> > [avision] ==> (bulk read) going down ...
> > [avision] <== (bulk read) got: 1, status: 0
> > [avision] attach: Inquiry gives mfg=VISIONER, model=Strobe XP 450,
> > product revision=1.02.
> > [avision] attach: model is not in the list of supported models!
> > [avision] attach: You might want to report this output.
> > [avision] attach: To: rene at exactcode.de (the Avision backend author)

[snip]

> > No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> > check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> > sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> > which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> > [avision] sane_exit:

ok, well, at least you can talk to the scanner as root. to get other
users to talk to it, you have to do some sort of permissions
modifications, which seem to depend on your OS/distro. perhaps someone
else can chime in here....

in order to get the thing to actually work, i guess you should forward
this email to rene directly, and see if he has any suggestions.

allan