[sane-devel] [FYI] new ls5000 backend

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Fri May 11 12:58:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

Because coolscan2 doesn't work with my Coolscan 5000 ED film scanner I
more or less rewrote coolscan2 as ls5000. During the cleanup I removed
support for all other scanners, it shouldn't be too hard to add back in.

Things I changed:
 * use C99 constructs for easier command packing
 * clean up coding style to conform to something I can work with
 * remove LS-40/4000/... support
 * add LS-5000 support (the coolscan2 package claims to support it but
   it doesn't work)
 * add grayscale support
 * clean up options
 * rip out the sane_read implementation and replace with something
   sane (excuse the pun)
 * add lots of comments about what the backend is doing
 * possibly lots more

I don't plan to submit any patches to coolscan2.c because that code is
in my eyes horrible to work with. I also don't plan to submit ls5000.c
to SANE because apparently SANE still requires that the backend builds
with ancient compilers.

The project has a tiny website at
http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/Projects/ls5000, code is available via

   git clone http://git.sipsolutions.net/ls5000.git

(and that URL also works as a gitweb URL)

johannes