[sane-devel] Saned problem

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Wed May 23 05:38:28 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have a very peculiar problem since my upgrade to Debian Etch. I can't
access my scanner properly.

On the server, to which the scanner is connected, when I run scanimage
-L as root, it works fine:
# scanimage -L
device `epson:libusb:001:002' is a Epson CX3600 flatbed scanner

However doing the same as user, doesn't detect the scanner.

Then I tried to run saned in debug mode (saned -d) after killing inetd
daemon, and then I can detect the scanner not only as user, but also
over the network.

Please advice! I don't understand what is going on here:
- saned works: it detects the scanner correctly in debug mode.
- inetd is installed correctly: I can detect my scanner this way, albeit
only as root.

No idea what else can be wrong here.
I don't have a /etc/sane.d/saned.users file, so that is also not an
issue.

Regards,
Wouter van Marle