[sane-devel] Additional frame types in Sane 1

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 23:19:24 UTC 2007

On 5/25/07, Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > yes, this will require that a front-end would have to be updated to
> > understand this type of data. I can extend scanimage and scanadf
>
> Do you plan to change either the current API or ABI ? (wrt soversion
> bump to libsane.so.2)

at this moment, i think that i would NOT bump the soversion, because i
do not wish to imply that this is sane2. i see two possibilities for
frontend error:

1. SANE_FRAME_* code does not handle unknown frametype
2. the sane_read() loop dies when getting an early SANE_STATUS_EOF

Both of these conditions would currently be handled in robust
frontend, so i think all i propose is to formalize the handling of
these two conditions. That sounds like soversion 1 still.

but, my mind could be changed :) Comments?

allan