[sane-devel] Problem with HP Scanjet 5300C USB

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Nov 5 19:45:18 UTC 2007

Paul van der Vlis schreef:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem with a HP Scanjet 5300C USB.
>> "sane-find-scanner" finds the scanner, but "scanimage -L" does not.
>>
>> sane-find-scanner finds this scanner:
>> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0701) at libusb:001:004
>>
>> It's no rights-problem, because I do this as root.
>>
>> It's Debian Etch, what has libusb and udev and a 2.6.18 kernel.
>>
>> I have changed dll.conf so there is only a line with "avision", and in
>> avision.conf I have uncommented this line:
>> usb 0x03f0 0x0701
>>
>> What can I do to debug this problem?
>
> It seems to be a bug in the USB implementation of the scanner.
> Updating to a newer kernel (I used 2.6.22.2) did the trick.

After some more testing it does not work stable, actually, it did make a
scan only once. "scanimage -L" does work, scanning works, but Sane does
not get the data. I did try the latest Linux kernel (2.6.23.1), the
latest Sane (1.0.18) and the latest Avision backend (build 252), but it
did not help. I did try it with Windows and there it works, so it's not
a hardware problem.

René Rebe, the maker of the backend, wrote me he tries to find a
timeslot to work on this problem.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--