[sane-devel] Epson CX7400 support

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Nov 6 07:47:49 UTC 2007

Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> All you have to do is install iscan and pick a device that mentions
>> the epkowa backend.  If you comment the epson backend out in dll.conf,
>> there is no need to pick one.
>>
>> If you leave the epson backend enabled, XSane will show you a little
>> dialog where you can pick the device.  You'll see something like
>>
>>    epson:003:004
>>    epkowa:003:004
>>

> Installed iscan-2.8.0-1.c2.i386.rpm, commented epson from dll.conf,
> commented out "usb 0x04b8 0x0838" from epson.conf and added it to
> epkowa.conf
> xsane started working
> commented out the entry from epkowa.conf, placed it back in epson.conf -
> xsane works
> removed iscan package, xsane works
> rebooted, still works
>
> blinked a few times and reinstalled iscan just to be on the safe side :)
>
> I'm guessing iscan uploaded some firmware to the scanner, so it works now..?

It (iscan) doesn't upload firmware for the CX7400.  Moreover, firmware
uploads would be lost when you power-down the device (long enough).

I'm curious as to how you installed and removed iscan.  My current
best bet is that the epkowa backend is still found in a place where
SANE finds it, typically in /usr/lib/sane/, and epkowa.conf is still
on the system as well.

If you installed with `rpm -U` and removed with `rpm -e` everything
ought to be gone after removal.  Maybe you're using a less common, as
in one we don't test with, distribution and things didn't go as they
were intended to.

Let me know what distribution you're using and how you installed and
removed iscan.  Were there any messages by any chance?  Also, what
device names do you get with `scanimage -L`?  If there's any that
start with 'epkowa:' the backend's still there somewhere.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen             FLOSS Engineer -- EPSON AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/