[sane-devel] (no subject)

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Tue Nov 6 19:40:44 UTC 2007

On 06.11.2007 20:07, Mauricio Villamil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> reading the SANE Docs, I found that it is possible to set up the Environmental variable for a larger buffer size:
>
> SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE, I have my RICOH_IS420 scanner hooked uo to Fedora core 6 and it is working well, I just want to set up the variable to a larger size ,but I don't knoe how??, which files need editing ??

You can set environment variables from a shell, i.e., a "command line"
window and start a Sane frontend from the _same_ shell, like so:

export SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE=131072
xsane

But if the scanner works fine, there should not be any need to do this.
This option is useful only in the case that a scanner stops the scan
head very often during a scan. Increasing the buffer size and thus
increasing the amount of data transferred for one read command can help
to reduce the number of such scan head stops. But I assume that a
document scanner like the IS420 does not show such scan head stops.

Abel