[sane-devel] Canoscan 1220U vertical stripes

Guillermo Espertino gespertino at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 03:30:15 UTC 2007

I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, but this problem is there since Dapper Drake (and it was there too wiht Edgy Eft and Feisty Fawn).
My Scanner, a Canon Canoscan 1220U, scans in very bad quality with vertical stripes (more visible in dark areas).
The scanner works fine (I mean, it's not a hardware problem), I tested it in Windows XP with its proprietary drivers and it works perfectly.
In ubuntu It seems to be more precise (I can see even the paper texture in high resolution scans) but those vertical stripes make the scans unusable (they're strong enough to make the removal via postprocessing impossible).
I've browsed the web and the mailing list, and all I can find about it is that the problem with vertical stripes in Canon scanners is solved.
I'm using the latest backend available in Ubuntu 7.10 and tried with different frontends (gnomescan-flegita, xsane, scanimage). All the same, vertical stripes.
I've read about callibration and checked the configuration file, but nothing gave me possitive results.
I'm a graphic designer, so the scanner is an important tool for my work. Right now I'm using it under a virtualized Windows installation, but I'd really like to get rid of it as soon as possible.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Guillermo Espertino.