[sane-devel] Epson Stylus DX4050

Laurent Riffard laurent.riffard at free.fr
Fri Nov 16 02:42:46 UTC 2007

Le 16.11.2007 02:49, Olaf Meeuwissen a écrit :
> Laurent Riffard <laurent.riffard at free.fr> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a multifonction Epson Stylus DX4050 and sane does work well with this line
>> in libsane.rules:
>>
>> # Epson DX-4050
>> SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="082f", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
>>

>> $ lsusb
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04b8:082f Seiko Epson Corp.
>>
>> $ scanimage -L
>> device `epson:libusb:001:005' is a Epson CX4000 flatbed scanner
>> device `epkowa:libusb:001:005' is a Epson Stylus CX3900/DX4000 flatbed scanner
>>
>> Epson backend seems to do a better job than epokwa. The Linux distribution is
>> Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> Apart from the fact that we don't provide .debs (yet), in what respect
> does the epson backend do a better job than the epkowa backend?
> As the maintainer of the latter, I'd like to know ;-)

Oops ! I was using XSane and I compared a *grayscale* scan made by the
epson backend and a *black and white* scan made by the epkowa backend.
The grayscale one was better. Sorry for that.

> BTW, our .rpms should convert cleanly to .debs (on i386 and similar at
> least) with
>
>   alien --scripts --keep-version iscan-*.i386.rpm
>
> After that, all you should need to do is install.  There should be no
> need to fiddle with libsane.rules.

My scanner wasn't recognized until I had a line in libsane.rules. And I
read this at the top of this file:

  # The following list already contains a lot of scanners. If your scanner
  # isn't mentioned there, add it as explained above and mail the entry to
  # the sane-devel mailing list (sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org).

I wrote this mail to get my scanner id added to libsane.rules. Maybe I should
have written to Ubuntu instead ?

--
laurent