[sane-devel] Timetable for sane-backends 1.0.19

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 20:22:55 UTC 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 12:22 PM,  <jazz_johnson at verizon.net> wrote:
> > If there are any new backends that should be included in that release
> > and haven't been committed to CVS yet, please tell us NOW. We will
> > endeavour to help new backend authors get their code included.
>

> My hs2p backend for the Ricoh IS450/420 seems to be working OK for me.
> If it would be useful to others, I'd be happy to have it released for
> inclusion in either  internal or external drivers.  Just let me know what
> steps to take. I've followed the steps given in the backend-writing.txt
> howto. The hs2p backend tarball is available at
> http://www.acjlaw.net:8080/~jeremy/Ricoh/hs2p_sane_backend/hs2p.tar.bz2

i've taken a cursory glance at the code, and have the following comments:

1. what does the name hs2p mean?
2. incorrect copyright attribution at top of c files.
3. ditch the external desc file
4. make it a patch against current sane cvs (dont want to overwrite
the makefile, etc)

get those things cleaned up, and i'll commit it to sane cvs for you.
if you want CVS write permissions, register for an account at alioth,
and email me off list.

> The only issue I've found with the IS450 is a possible problem with the gamma
> control. If I scan a text document in grayscale mode and do not apply any
> gamma correction, the image is too washed out. If I let Xsane apply automatic
> software gamma correction, the image is perfect. However, normally I scan
> documents using a shell script which started life as "scan-pdf version 3"
> which I downloaded off the internet and have since modified to suit my needs.
> If I use my shell script to scan documents in grayscale mode using a Fujitsu
> sp15c scanner, the resulting pdf image needs no gamma correction; but if I
> use my IS450 scanner on the same document, the resulting image is too washed
> out unless I apply a gamma correction (but my shell script has no code for
> automatic gamma correction). Maybe the Fujitsu sp15c corrects gamma
> automatically but the IS450 doesn't, or maybe the optics on my IS450 needs
> adjustment. I just don't know. There's no problem with Xsane since it apply
> automatic software gamma correction.

the xsane gamma correction is post-processing, or do you have gamma
controls exposed via the backend?

allan