[sane-devel] Panasonic KVSS905C SCSI driver

Frank Zago sane at zago.net
Mon Oct 1 21:46:20 UTC 2007

Julien BLACHE a écrit :
> Frank Zago <frank at zago.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

>> I looked at the code. It a basic scsi scanner driver. It should take a
>> couple hours work to make a backend, starting from the existing
>> matsushita driver.
>>
>> The only problem IMHO is the license, and the testing.
>>

> Apache 2.0, indeed, the license sucks big time ...

If someone wants to do the work, may be he can get Google to relicense
the code.

> But the license only covers the code, not the knowledge you can gain
> by reading it.

Well, the code is so basic it's going to be a cut and paste.

> I don't know how close these scanners are from the ones supported by
> the matsushita backend already, so ...

AFAICT, the work flow is the same. But some of the SCSI commands used
are more recent, and the window format is different. That's why a new
driver should be written instead of using the existing one.

>> And when I see how simple these scanners are, I don't understand
>> Panasonic's need for an NDA.
>>

> Big companies and their NDAs ...

Precious IP that anyone why a scsi analyser can reverse in less than a day.

Frank.