[sane-devel] Experimental lexmark backend inclusion in regular CVS

Fred Odendaal freshshelf at rogers.com
Sun Sep 9 23:33:54 UTC 2007

Stef,

I've finished testing the experimental code on my X1185 and it works
well. It is much slower than the current backend - probably due to
shading calculations during the scanner reads. This may be optimized. I
know there is a double buffer copy that I put in that can probably be
removed. So,  I don't see anything that can't be worked around on the
performance side.

The quality of the scans are much better with the experimental backend
probably due to the shading, and the gain and offset calculations. Very
nice!

The code changes look good too. I do have a small concern about name
space collision with the use of functions named "rts88xx_*", but they
are only used in a single file and aren't exported so shouldn't be a
problem. If they are moved into a separate file as indicated in the code
they may have to be renamed...

So, all in all I'd say the good outweighs the bad and we should move the
experimental code into the main repository. I'd be interested to hear
other opinions.

regards,
Fred Odendaal