[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 7400C trouble

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Sat Sep 22 18:13:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

sorry for the late response, I was abroad.

There are some known problems with the 7400 these days (although
it used to work just fine some (3, 4?) years ago).

Known is:
 - color stripes due changed calibration code in the avision backend

Someone has:
 - scanner head might touch the end of the scan area (I never seen
  this though)

Maybe your issue is related to the scanner suspending itself, IIRC
I had "use-after chip suspend" issues with the 74xx when I added
support some years ago.

I really would appreciate if someone could do a little bug hunting for
those older devices, as I'm already rather busy adding support for
the latest Avision, Visioneer/Xerox, Kodak, Oki, et al. devices to the
Avision backend and rarely have free time to investigate the aging
devices (though also regularly check my old devices like the
AV630, AV120, and even the HPs, but this already consumes sooo
much time, ...).

On Wednesday 12 September 2007 17:32:23 Andre Majorel wrote:
> On 2007-09-12 16:14 +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:
> > On 2007-09-09 22:36 +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all. I'm trying to use a HP Scanjet 7400C via USB and am
> > > having problems.
> > >
> > > 1) Nasty-sounding shoe-shining during scans. Happens even at
> > > resolutions/depths that you would think a USB 2 port can take (300
> > > DPI colour, around 2.5 MB/s if I not mistaken).
> > >
> > > 2) Every few scans, the scanner will freeze, either not starting
> > > to scan or stopping in mid-scan. scanimage takes a long time to
> > > time out. After that, any further attempts to run scanimage fail
> > > (does nothing and finally times out). You have to power the
> > > scanner off and back on.
> >
> > This is with ohci-hcd, if it matters.
>
> Here's a scenario.
>
> Power computer on (scanner already on and connected).
>
>   # modprobe ochi-hcd
>
>   # mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb
>
>   # sane-find-scanner
>   libusb:001:002
>
>   # scanimage -d avision:libusb:001:002 --mode gray -r 600dpi >foo.pnm
>
> scanimage blocks, even though the LCD display on the scanner says
> "Prêt" ("Ready"). scanimage finally times out with this message :
>
>   scanimage: sane_start: Device busy
>
> Try a second time :
>
>   # scanimage -d avision:libusb:001:002 --mode gray -r 600dpi >foo.pnm
>
> This time, the LCD on the scanner switches to "Initialisation...".
> The scanner starts doing its thing, with copious shoe-shining. It
> scans a few cm then freezes. After a while, scanimage times out
> with this message :
>
>   scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O
>
>   # scanimage -L
>   No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
>   check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
>   sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
>   which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
>   # sane-find-scanner
>   found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [hp], product=0x0801 [hp scanjet 7400c])
>     at libusb:001:002
>
> Try a third time :
>
>   # scanimage -d avision:libusb:001:002 --mode gray -r 600dpi >foo.pnm
>
> After about one minute, ooh, yet another error message :
>
>   scanimage: open of device avision:libusb:001:002 failed: Invalid argument
>
> --
> André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
> Do not use this account for regular correspondence.
> See the URL above for contact information.

  Geschäftsführer: Susanne Klaus, René Rebe
  Sitz: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 105 123 B
  USt-IdNr.: DE251602478