[sane-devel] SANE2 standard completion

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 1 13:37:35 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Mar 28 19:13 Julien BLACHE wrote (shortened):
> ... provide a central point (saned) handling the hardware
> entirely,
> Something much more simple than CUPS, but yeah, basically.
> Oh, I forgot to add: we get real locking/device management
> that way, too.

It may get complicated for all-in-one devices when both
the CUPS backend and the saned try to communicate at the
same time with the device.

The CUPS backend runs only as long as one particular print job
is sent to the device, then it finishes.

To make printing possible, the saned should release
a locked device file when it is not actually in use.

But how to deal with a user who runs a frontend to scan
multiple sheets on a all-in-one device and in between
a (longer) print job comes (e.g. from a remote machine)?

Should the frontend tell the saned to keep the lock until
the last sheet is scanned (i.e. provide something like a
[Lock]/[Unlock] button in the frontend) or might the
print job hinder the user to continue scanning?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex