[sane-devel] SANE2 standard completion

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Apr 2 09:38:36 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Apr 1 18:00 Emmanuel Fust wrote (shortened):
> That's the point: CUPSD is a daemon regardless of implementation
> of the backend, daemon or I/O-lib. Nothing talk or invoke directly
> this io backend all talk to CUPSD via tcp or domain-unix socket
> in case of printing. It should be the case too for scanning via saned.

I think I understand now what the difference is between
cupsd/saned and hpiod/libhpmud:

cupsd and saned provide a driver and frontend independent
single central service to do printing and scanning.

In contrast the hpiod was an additional special daemon
only for one single driver package (HPLIP).

It is perfectly o.k. to have central well-known daemons
like cupsd and saned to provide well-known services.

In contrast it becomes a mess when each driver package or
desktop application program or whatever program
requires its own special daemons to run to do its own
special kind of stuff.
Therefore drivers or applications or whatever programs
should not run their own daemons but use the central
well-known daemons and have their own special stuff
implemented in their own special libraries.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex