[sane-devel] In progress: TRUST Imagery 9600SP (TECO_VM6552)

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 16:03:05 UTC 2008

On 4/3/08, Ralph D. Ungermann <linux at mloge-ungermann.de> wrote:
> m. allan noah wrote:
>
> > On 4/3/08, Ralph D. Ungermann <linux at mloge-ungermann.de> wrote:
> >

> > >  If there is anybody else out there using backend teco1, teco2, or
> teco3,
> > >  I'm willing to unify and maintain that driver. But now I sit idle,
> until
> > >  somebody googles and finds this email...
> > >

> > why dont you go ahead and combine those drivers into a new teco
> > backend, if it is easy enough.
> >

>  Because I don't like to code for the museum. My VM6552 is 12 years old, and
> the original backend was for the VM3552; maybe these devices are all dead.
> I'll go ahead, as soon as somebody proves me wrong (though it will be _not_
> easy to delete 4000+ more lines of code).

we have lately been discussing the future versions of SANE. it might
happen that these older machines will not be directly supported, but
rather, require a compatability layer. I would not ask you to do
something you do not want, but consolidating those backends makes it
more likely that they will be kept alive in the future. now, you might
be the only living beneficiary :)

> > if you are looking for something else to do, there are plenty of other
> > unsupported machines around :)
> >

>  I still have 200 unread posts on sane-devel, but I've already bookmarked
> your "Ricoh IS420" post. How about to
>  - turn your scanner on
>  - allow me to "ssh -X ralph at ricoh.noah.org"
>  - put a sudoku in the top left corner
>  - sit back and wait for the solution

the backend devel and i are already working on that one :)

>  But no kidding -- there are many posts like "My HAL9001 doesn't work with
> the HAL9000 backend".
>  I can't tell, whether somebody else is working on that, or if this backend
> is orphaned. You are obviously more acquainted with S.A.N.E., so feel free
> to point me to any of these requests, that would otherwise remain unhandled.

recent thread (january) on: Mustek ScanExpress A3 600 USB Pro comes to
mind. also an old machine i am afraid, but i was contacted by another
user of it today, so perhaps we can get you some debug logs, etc.
there has also been some discussion of rewriting the snapscan backend
to not access the device from both threads...

if you would rather look for a recent machine, it would seem that
there are quite a few Brother brand machines that are only supported
by a closed source backend. The same goes for some Canon and Epson
machines. A quick trip to your favorite electronics boutique will show
you many machines which dont work with SANE unfortunately.

allan