[sane-devel] incompatible iscan-2.11.0

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 22 17:47:18 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Apr 22 19:24 Julien BLACHE wrote (shortened):
> Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps it leads to the "solution" that the Linux distributors
> > agree to no longer distribute their proprietary stuff?
>
> That would be a good first step...
>
> That said, I have never distributed anything else beside the epkowa
> backend itself, so no changes on my side :)
>
> But now I have a real problem, that is there is a new iscan release,
> people know (or will know) about it and they're going to bug me to
> upgrade the backend. It's not possible to upgrade the backend without
> losing support for some scanners at least, and not upgrading means
> losing support for the other scanners, I guess.

Perhaps I misunderstand something but when you provide only
the epkowa backend, I think everything is fine for you
because the incompatibility is - as far as I see - only
regarding the proprietary plugins and when a user has
a proprietary model, he is on his own to go to Epson Avasys
and download and install their stuff.

As far as I see the only problem when you provide only the
epkowa backend is when a user has a free model which works
better with the epkowa backend in iscan-2.11.0 because
its NEWS file also reads
enables scanning at resolutions larger than 3200dpi for
devices that support this
but the same user has also a proprietary model where the
matching plugin is only available for iscan-2.10.0.

But again it is only a
"proprietary model" -> "shit happens" -> "go to Epson Avasys"
issue.
I wonder how Epson Avasys supports this case.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex