[sane-devel] How do I scan as a normal user?

Chris Lale chrislale at untrammelled.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 08:57:23 UTC 2008

[...]
>> On 4/25/08, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42 at yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
>>>   I'm not sure what
>>>  changed that, but it now recognizes the scanner if I run scanimage, or
>>>  xscanimage as root, but NOT if I run as a normal user.
[...]

If you are running Debian, the answer is simple. Simply add users to the group
"scanner" (Debian should have created this group for you). If you are running
the Gnome desktop: Desktop -> Administration -> Users and Groups, Users tab ->
Add user. If you add yourself, remember to logout and login again to activate
your membership of the group for that session.

--
Chris.